Cycling has become a more popular activity, as people use their bicycles to exercise and as a means of transportation. Along with an increasing number of bicyclists comes more accidents and injuries. Motorists do not always exercise the due care that they should when a bicyclist is on the road, even though there is a legal obligation to share the road. Injured bicyclists can recover financial compensation for an accident that was someone else’s fault.
Before you can receive a check, you must take legal action. Our attorneys are here to help you build your strongest possible case.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Here are some common examples of bicycle accidents:
- A motorist crashes into a cyclist because they have not left enough room when trying to pass the bike.
- A car driver or passenger knocks the cyclist to the ground because they have opened a car door when the bike is going by them.
- A motorist runs into the back of a bicyclist when they are not looking because they are sending a text.
- The motorist does not yield when the bicyclist has the right-of-way.
Besides distracted driving, motorists can cause accidents involving bicycles by doing the following:
- Reckless driving
- Illegal lane changes
- Not checking their blind spots
- Drunk driving